BridgwaterMalta

Minutes 06-05-2008

BRIDGWATER-MARSA TWINNING ASSOCIATION MEETING

Tuesday 6th May 2008 at 20.00hrs

30, Wembdon Hill, Bridgwater TA6 7PX

 

Present- Dave Perrin, Joseph Abela, Colin Brown, Tricia Brown, Pat Morgan and Steve Morgan.

 

Apologies-Marion Maddison, Steve Gill, Ivana Hodgkinson, James Morgan and Len Biddiscombe.

 

Minutes from last meeting-all received and accepted.

Matters Arising- PM had contacted MM re Nether Stowey May Day celebration of their 10 years twinning with Theillay in France.PM and SM attended and had an enjoyable few hours as the whole village seemed involved. PM had also found some information from The Times of Malta about a new Journalist council being elected, printed it and will pass on to SG.

 

Update from the Chair-unable as unwell.

 

Update from Vice Chair /Secretary-PM passed on thanks from Dominic and Claudette Spencer for the hospitality they were shown on their visit. They got home safely and are busy with family life and the coming Feast.PM noted we had had 9922 hits on the Web site and on a recent visit to the Royal College of Nursing Congress in Bournemouth she had picked up information from the EU on opportunities for young people of all ages and also information resources-TB will contact them and get more as will be very useful for our schools involved. New maps of the EU were also disturbed for the schools. DP on a recent visit to Marsa had seen the same information in the council offices.

 

Correspondence-PM had sent letters of thanks to the Mayor and Mayoress Philip and Ute Smeed and the Arts Centre after PM and SM had attended the Mayors Charity Evening. They had also met the Secretary of the Homburg Twinning Association. She had had a letter from Len Biddiscombe who sent his apologies as he finds it difficult to get to meetings. He had sent a cheque but his membership is fully paid up so she will return it with the minutes. The Association has had an invite from the Mayor and Mayoress elect Graham and Kay Granter for 2 people to attend the Mayor Making ceremony on 16th May.PM asked if anyone else would like to represent us and CB and TB would like to attend.

 

Update from Treasurer-DP reported that there is £806.20p in account and £16-58p in cash.

 

Update from Membership secretary-TB reported 2 new members Alyson and Paul Blundell from Bristol who have visited Malta and Bridgwater with PM and SM. They have also purchased T shirts as has SG.

 

Any other business-DP had recently returned from Malta and had seen our friends in Marsa several times. He reported that there are 4 new councillors elected in Marsa in the recent elections in Malta who are learning about the twinning. The council have employed a private company to explore ways of accessing EU funding for projects and as DP understands they are looking at? 4 projects .The 5 aside football pitch which was in the building stage in October is now completed and open.  On the 6th of June at the Newmarket hotel will be the Bridgwater Ladies Skittle League Presentation Night where we will present the 3 Marsa Cups. A Quiz night was discussed to raise money and TB will discuss with Penrose School to see if we can hold it there. JM has offered to help TB and CB with questions. The dates of the 11th/12th July were discussed to try and avoid member’s holidays etc. A stand was discussed as we did last year at Wembdon Village Day to raise awareness and encourage new members. TB will investigate but they will be away this year. Philip Smeed has given PM information that Bridgwater Carnival has links with the Maltese Carnival and has given her the name and contact number. JA was asked for information – it is held in February and the Maltese are passionate about it but he thinks Marsa does not take part in it.PM will try again to contact Doug Robson who TB knows.

 

Date, place and time of next meeting-

 

Tuesday 17th June 20.00hrs.

Past Meetings